Location / Language of Lithuania
Lithuania is bordered by Latvia to the north, Belarus to the east and south, Poland to the south, and Kaliningrad Oblast to the southwest. Lithuania has an estimated population of 2.8 million people as of 2019 and the country covers an area of around 66,000 sq kms, and its capital and largest city is Vilnius. Other major cities are Kaunas and Klaipėda.
The official language, Lithuanian, along with Latvian, is one of only two living languages in the Baltic branch of the Indo-European language family.
Visa Requirements / Currency (please note these procedures / exchange rates can changed from time to time…please get an update from the embassy prior to travel)
As India is not part of the Schengen Area, if one is an Indian passport holder you will need to apply for the appropriate type of Schengen Lithuanian Visa for travelling to the country. To be eligible for a Schengen Visa for Lithuania one will mainly need their current passport, along with certain documents, to be submitted with the Visa application form.
Currency : Euro (EUR)
Conversion: Rs.1 INR = 0.013 EUR
1 EUR = Rs. 78.04 INR
Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Lithuania
- Vilnius Old Town – Lithuania’s World Heritage Site is a medieval town full of historic buildings and home to many cultural heritage landmarks with remarkably diverse architectural styles. The town is also lined with fine restaurants, cafes, and street markets.
- Hill of Crosses –Religious hill with over 100,000 crosses planted and this gives a true spiritual ambiance around the whole place. What is striking is that these are remarkable traditional Lithuanian crosses . The hill also has impressive sculptures and other religious objects.
- Gediminas Castle Tower – Historic castle tower in Gediminas which houses the Hill Museum with it’s exhibits of medieval armaments. Reconstruction models of Vilnius castles on display surrounded by an open-air platform with panoramic view of Vilnius.
- Trakai Castle – Picturesque island castle situated on Lake Galve and known for it’s magnificent medieval halls and galleries, not forgetting it’s collection of historical and traditional objects with the beautiful panorama with scenic lake settings all around.
- Kursiu Nerija National Park – The largest national park in Lithuania, it is lined with extensive sand dunes alongside the lagoon. Hiking trails among lovely natural landscape provides for a picturesque setting. Fascinating museums, galleries, and monuments are also available at the park on display for it’s visitors. The park also presents a spectacular panorama from vantage viewing points.
Things You Must Do in Lithuania
- Visit the Museum of Genocide Victims – To learn a little about the dark side of history of Lithuania centered around the Soviet Regime, , visit the museum situated in a former KGB building. One can actually spend some time in earlier prison cells and walk through the execution chambers. The museum also contains documentation pertaining to the Lithuanian resistance during this period.
- Spend a day with your family at Druskininkai Aquapark –This is a huge aquatic entertainment complex with different varieties of swimming pools, relaxing saunas and bathhouses. The best part for the kids are the exciting water slides and other attractions at the park.
- Take a Wild Beach Single Handed Blokart Safari - The Baltic Sea has always been the attraction of this place. When one arrives at this place you can easily try some water activities that are really awesome. The best part is however to hire a Blokart that is a three-wheeled vehicle. A drive along the beach with this bike will provide you with an awesome experience.
Food on the Plate
Lithuanian cuisine features products suited to the cool and moist northern climate of Lithuania: barley, potatoes, rye, beets, greens, berries, and mushrooms are locally grown, and dairy products are one of its specialties. Soups are extremely popular, and are widely regarded as the key to good health.
Some of the Lithuanian dishes one must try include:
- Cepelinai - Lithuania’s national dish, they are large dumplings made of a mixture of raw and cooked potato dough that is filled with meat and doused in a ladle of a sour cream and bacon sauce.
- Fried bread - Kepta Duona (Lithuanian name) is dark rye bread that been fried in oil, seasoned with garlic and salt, and served with cheese sauce. Fried bread is frequently eaten as a snack to accompany beer and is a favourite comfort food.
- Fried Cheese Curd Cakes - Fresh cheese curd is a staple in Lithuanian households and can be used to make numerous dishes. One favourite dish is this one, which is simply cheese curd mixed with a bit of flour, egg, and sugar that is fried in oil. Typically served with fresh berries and jam, cheese curd cakes can be enjoyed at any time of day.
- Grybukai – This sweet dish are not made with mushrooms, they simply are cookies shaped like mushrooms. Grybukai are delicious little morsels flavored with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cardamom and glazed to create a white “stalk” and black “cap.”
Overseas Travel Medical Insurance Lithuania
Since Lithuania is a country which is part of the Schengen countries in Europe, Indians have to buy Schengen visa travel medical insurance to satisfy the consular needs.
Travel insurance for Indians visiting Lithuania is relatively cheaper when compared to destinations in Americas, and most insurance companies offer a specific Schengen Insurance Plan
. One must ensure that the minimum Accident & Sickness (A&S) sum insured for a Schengen plan must be €30,000 (around $50,000), and a visa to visit any Schengen country will not be provided without this minimum coverage.
The insured must purchase an “Excluding Americas” Plan, if they are travelling to other destinations that don’t include only Schengen countries.
Illustration for 15 days travel health insurance for Indians to Lithuania.
|Sum Insured($USD or €Euro) / Premium in Rs. INR
||Insured Age 32
||Insured Age 62
|Schengen - €30,000
|Schengen - €50,000
|Excluding - $50,000
These premiums are across different plans and different benefits.. please log in to www.eindiainsurance.com
to compare and buy the best Schengen travel insurance for Indians to Lithuania.